Languages syllabus implementation
Online self-paced learning (staff only)
Online self-paced learning is available for NSW Department of Education staff only.
eCourse – Languages K-10 syllabus familiarisation and planning
The Languages and Culture team has released an eCourse for teachers 7-10 (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Modern Greek, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese) – search for course code RG04277 on MyPL. The course is registered for 3.5 hours of professional learning and there are 4 cohorts for enrolment – Term 1, Term 2, Term 3 and Term 4 2019.
- Take a walk through the eCourse's content and navigation (MP4 206 MB)
- Transcript of eCourse walk-through (DOCX 18KB)
Adobe Connect – Languages K-10 syllabus familiarisation
This webinar was offered to teachers 7-10 in Term 2 2018 as blended learning (pre-task + Adobe Connect) and registered for 1.5 hours of professional learning.
Teachers who were unable to attend can access the pre-task and the Adobe Connect recording below. You can record your engagement with these as Teacher Identified professional learning hours.
- Pre-task (DOCX 173KB)
- Languages K-10 syllabus familiarisation Adobe Connect recording
- Transcript of Languages K-10 syllabus familiarisation (DOCX 46KB)
Face-to-face workshops (staff only)
A range of professional learning opportunities are available to support syllabus implementation. Use the calendar for full details and registration.
- 7-10 – programming workshop (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Modern Greek, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese). Prerequisite: Syllabus familiarisation and planning workshop (2018) and/or eCourse (see above).
Click on "Look for more" in the calendar to display the full list of events.
Yammer chat – Mondays and Thursdays
Yammer is the Department of Education's social media platform – you can download the app to your phone or access it from the portal (under 'My applications'). Every Monday and Thursday during term time, we will be available from 3:30-4pm to answer your questions, provide feedback or just have a chat about any concerns you may have about the new K-10 syllabuses. Join us in the Languages NSW (7-12) group.
You can join in live, or catch up on the action at a time which suits you.
Frequently asked questions – secondary teachers
There have been some consistent questions coming through about the new K-10 language syllabus at our face-to-face workshops and online learning events. Explore the questions and answers in our FAQs document (DOCX 56KB) to gain a better understanding of the key issues as you prepare for implementation.
Learning and teaching materials will be available for download from March 2019.
The Languages and Culture team has developed a series of infographics for language teachers 7-10 which summarise the key information in the new K-10 syllabuses. You can download and print for use in your staffroom, at network meetings or for your own reference.
- Infographics 1 and 2 – syllabus layout and content
- Infographics 3 and 4 – objectives
- Infographic 5 – Stage 4 outcomes
- Infographics 6 and 7 – macro skills and learning across the curriculum
- Infographics 8 and 9 – learner groups and target language use
Languages Adviser – K-6
02 9244 5261
A/Languages Officer K-6
02 9244 5284
Coordinator, Languages and Culture – Secondary Education
02 9244 5385
Languages Adviser – 7-12
02 9266 8540