Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education
The Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education is a collaboration between the NSW Department of Education and the Office of Chinese Language Council International in China (‘Hanban’), in partnership with Jiangsu Provincial Department of Education.
Jiangsu Provincial Department of Education has appointed Nanjing Xiaozhuang University to be their executor for the Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education.
The Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education:
- has a Board of Directors to oversee program planning, implementation and reporting
- facilitates engagement between the department and China to foster cooperation and exchange
- provides support to teachers of Chinese in implementing NSW Chinese language syllabuses in primary and secondary schools
- provides professional learning opportunities for teachers of Chinese
- develops resources to support the teaching and learning of Chinese language and culture
- facilitates collaborative projects and activities between the department and China
- facilitates the establishment of partner-school relationships between NSW schools and schools in China
- supports the Chinese language proficiency test
- coordinates opportunities for Chinese academics and cultural experts to engage with NSW teachers
- ensures that the Confucius Institute constitution and by-laws are observed.
Funding for the Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education is shared between the NSW Department of Education and Hanban. Establishment funds of $150,000 for the Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education and $10,000 for each Confucius Classroom were provided by Hanban. The department funds two positions: Manager, Confucius Institute and Confucius Institute Officer. The department also provides an annual operating budget.
Confucius Institutes in Australia
Other Confucius Institutes have been established around Australia, including:
- University of Sydney
- University of NSW
- University of Newcastle
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Queensland
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- University of Melbourne
- La Trobe University
- University of Western Australia
- Confucius Institute in Adelaide.