Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education
Review of foreign government, organisation support for language education
The NSW Department of Education has completed a Review of foreign government / foreign organisation support for language education in NSW public schools..
The full report (PDF 1944.15KB) (with minor redactions to protect personal and in confidence information) has been proactively released under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.
As a result of the Department’s review, the agreement with the Confucius Institute will end in early 2020.
The Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education is a collaboration between the NSW Department of Education and the Office of Chinese Language Council International in China (‘Hanban’), in partnership with Jiangsu Provincial Department of Education.
The Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education:
- has a Board of Directors to oversee program planning, implementation and reporting
- facilitates engagement between the department and China to foster cooperation and exchange
- provides support to teachers of Chinese in implementing NSW Chinese language syllabuses in primary and secondary schools
- provides professional learning opportunities for teachers of Chinese
- develops resources to support the teaching and learning of Chinese language and culture
- facilitates collaborative projects and activities between the department and China
- facilitates the establishment of partner-school relationships between NSW schools and schools in China
- supports the Chinese language proficiency test
- coordinates opportunities for Chinese academics and cultural experts to engage with NSW teachers
- ensures that the Confucius Institute constitution and by-laws are observed.
Funding for the Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education is shared between the NSW Department of Education and Hanban. Establishment funds of $150,000 for the Confucius Institute at NSW Department of Education and $10,000 for each Confucius Classroom were provided by Hanban. The department funds two positions: Manager, Confucius Institute and Confucius Institute Officer. The department also provides an annual operating budget.
Confucius Institutes in Australia
Other Confucius Institutes have been established around Australia, including:
- Confucius Institute at the University of Western Australia
- Confucius Institute at the University of Melbourne
- Confucius Institute in Adelaide
- Confucius Institute at the University of Queensland
- Confucius Institute at Queensland University of Technology
- Confucius Institute at the University of Sydney
- Confucius Institute at the University of New South Wales
- Confucius Institute at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- Confucius Institute at the University of Newcastle
- Confucius Institute at Charles Darwin University
- Business Confucius Institute at Victoria University
- Tourism Confucius Institute at Griffith University
- Confucius Institute at La Trobe University