These resources support teachers in developing teaching and learning frameworks and in implementing the geography K-6 syllabus.
- Geographical toolkit – The interconnections between geographical concepts, geographical inquiry skills and geographical tools enables students to think and work geographically when investigating geographical knowledge and understandings.
- Guide to using picture books in geography (PDF 1.62 MB) supports teachers to integrate picture books to enhance their geography teaching and programming. It provides examples of learning activities for picture books selected for their geographical and literary value
- Geography terminology continuum K-10 (DOCX 67.83KB) - The geography terminology continuum provides a list of essential vocabulary required of the NSW syllabus for the Australian curriculum K-10 geography.
Learning across the curriculum—cross-curriculum priorities teacher resources K-10
- The K–10 cross curriculum resource: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures (DOCX 116KB) provides teaching and learning activities and links to resources to integrate the teaching of the key concepts of Country/Place, Culture and People with the content and outcomes of the syllabus.
- The K–10 cross curriculum resource: Sustainability (DOCX 84KB) provides ideas to embed the cross curriculum priority of sustainability within a history program through learning snapshots with links to resources across a number of different topics from K–10.
- The K-10 cross curriculum resource, Asia and Australia's engagement with Asia (PDF 903KB) provides snapshots of learning for each stage with case studies that support teachers to include the diversity of Asia, achievements and contributions of peoples of Asia and Asia-Australia engagement in geography.
Use the inquiry process (DOCX 101KB) to support programming in geography.
Geography organisation ideas for small schools K-6 (DOCX 59.8KB) supports small schools in implementing the geography K-10 syllabus.
Eight organisation ideas have been identified which align with much of the geography K-10 syllabus. They are:
- Local places
- Global connections
- Important environments
- Features/characteristics of places
- Distribution of features/places
- Environmental perspectives and significance
- Environmental management
- Life in different places