- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures (DOCX 116KB), provides lesson guides for early Stage 1 to Stage 3 including links to resources to integrate the teaching of the key concepts of Country/Place, Culture and People with the content and outcomes of the syllabus.
- Sustainability (DOCX 84KB), provides learning snapshots and teaching and learning ideas to embed the cross curriculum priority of sustainability within a geography program including links to resources across a number of different K–6 topics .
- Asia and Australia's engagement with Asia (PDF 903 KB) provides snapshots of learning for each stage with case studies that support teachers to include the diversity of Asia, achievements and contributions of peoples of Asia and Asia-Australia engagement in geography.
Geographical inquiry process
Use the inquiry process (DOCX 101KB) to support programming in geography.
Geography organisation ideas for small schools K-6 (DOCX 59.8KB) supports small schools in implementing the geography K-10 syllabus.
Eight organisation ideas have been identified which align with much of the geography K-10 syllabus. They are:
- Local places
- Global connections
- Important environments
- Features/characteristics of places
- Distribution of features/places
- Environmental perspectives and significance
- Environmental management
- Life in different places
Geography K-6 sample unit starters
The following sample unit starters cover a number of Early Stage 1 to Stage 3 topics from the Geography K–10 Syllabus.
Teachers may adapt these unit starters to suit the needs of individual students and their local school context.
|Stage||Syllabus focus||Syllabus content||Teaching framework|
|ES1||People live in places|
|My school grounds (DOCX 79KB)|
|S1||Features of places||Features of places|
How places are organised
|Local places and spaces (DOCX 89KB)|
|S1||Features of places||Weather and seasons||Weather (DOCX 47KB)|
|S1||People and places||Australian places|
People's connection to places
|Australian places (DOCX 62KB)|
|S1||People and places||Local and global connections||Around the world (DOC 87KB)|
Aboriginal connections (DOC 85KB)
|S2||Places are similar and different||The Australian continent||Features of Australia (DOC 101KB)|
|S2||Places are similar and different||Climate of places|
Similarities and differences between places
Perception and protection of places
|Features of Australia (DOC 101KB)|
Australia's neighbours (DOC 53KB)
|S2||Places are similar and different||Australia's neighbours||Australia's neighbours (DOCX 53KB)|
|S2||The earth's environment||Different environments|
Significance of environments
|Natural environments (DOCX 59KB)|
|S2||The earth's environment||Perception of environments|
Protection of environments
|National park case study (DOC 106KB)|
|S3||Factors that shape places||Factors that shape environments|
Humans shape places
|Contemporary land use issue (DOCX 49KB)|
|S3||Factors that shape places||Environments shape places||Why live where? (DOC 94KB)|
|S3||Factors that shape places||Bushfire hazard||Bushfire mitigation (DOC 106KB)|
|S3||A diverse and connected world||Diversity across Asia |
The world’s cultural diversity
|Engaging with Asia (DOC 105KB)|
|S3||A diverse and connected world||Connections shape perceptions|
|Connections and perceptions (DOCX 51KB)|
To view the continuum of learning in Geography K-10, the K-10 Geography teaching framework for Stages 4-5 can be found on the Stages 4-5 Geography programming page.