The English Studies Stage 6 Syllabus outlines the purpose of the Year 11 and 12 English studies course.
Teacher advice – The Stage 6 phases project has been developed to support teachers in the structuring of teaching and learning activities for Stage 6 units. In the typical eight-week timeframe of a unit, a teacher may employ a range of these phases in order to meet outcomes, cover content and prepare for assessment.
The term ‘phase’ helps to focus planning by identifying the specific purpose of each section within a teaching program. The phases are closely aligned to the English textual concept ‘learning processes’ of understanding, engaging personally, connecting, engaging critically, experimenting, and reflecting. As such each phase focuses teacher and student attention onto the learning intentions of each sequence of lessons.
Each phase lesson sequence is structured as a case study utilising a module and a prescribed text. However, the teaching and learning activities within the case study could be easily adapted to any Stage 6 unit.
Stage 6 planning template
This document sets out the key requirements for planning a Stage 6 Studies course at your school. It is organised beginning with year 12 to support the planning process of backward mapping.
The following support materials were developed by NSW public school teachers as part of the Stage 6 mEsh project where 62 teachers led writing teams (over 150 teachers) across NSW.
Year 11 and 12 units of work
Teachers can adapt the following units of work for Year 11 and 12 as required.
Achieving through English - English in education, work and community
- Achieving through English: Sample unit of work (DOCX 54KB)
- Achieving through English: Sample assessment (DOCX 46KB)
- Achieving through English: Resources (ZIP 119KB)
Year 12 - Common module - Texts and the human experience
Examinable HSC content for ATAR pathway.
Texts and human experiences - All the Light We Cannot See
- All the light: Sample unit of work (DOCX 85KB)
- All the light: Sample assessment (40KB)
- All the light: Sample assessment - photographic essay (DOCX 49KB)
- All the light: Resources (ZIP 1.6MB)
Texts and human experiences - Billy Elliot
- Billy Elliot: Sample unit of work (DOCX 69KB)
- Billy Elliot: Sample assessment (DOCX 40KB)
- Billy Elliot: Resources (ZIP 256KB)
Texts and human experiences - The Boy Behind the Curtain
- Boy behind the curtain: Sample unit of work (DOCX 72KB)
- Boy behind the curtain: Sample assessment (DOCX 47KB)
- Boy behind the curtain: Resources (ZIP 472KB)
Texts and human experiences - The Crucible
- Crucible: Sample unit of work (DOCX 113KB)
- Crucible: Sample assessment (DOCX 43 KB)
- Crucible: Resources (ZIP 502KB)
Texts and human experiences - I Am Malala
- I am Malala: Sample unit of work (DOCX 114KB)
- I am Malala: Sample assessment (DOCX 42KB)
- I am Malala: Resources (ZIP 527KB)
Texts and human experiences - The poetry of Kenneth Slessor and other related texts
- Slessor: Sample unit of work (DOCX 68KB)
- Slessor: Sample assessment (DOCX 48KB)
- Slessor: Resources (ZIP 2.1MB)
Texts and human experiences - Waste Land
If you need further assistance with accessibility for any of these resources, please get in touch with us at SecondaryEducationUnit@det.nsw.edu.au