English EAL/D addresses the needs of a specific group of students and shares the overall aim and rationale of English. When presented at the HSC, the English EAL/D course will satisfy NESA requirements for the study of English. The English EAL/D course sits beside English (Standard) and the English (Advanced) courses, and shares the overall aim and rationale of English.
Students who have been using English as their primary language of instruction for five years or less at the start of the Preliminary course may be eligible to study the English EAL/D course.
English EAL/D is designed for students from diverse non-English speaking, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds as designated by the course entry requirements. The students engage in a variety of language learning experiences to develop and consolidate their use, understanding and appreciation of Standard Australian English, to enhance their personal, social, educational and vocational lives. The students learn to respond to and compose a wide variety of texts in a range of situations in order to be effective, creative and confident communicators.
The materials were developed by NSW public school teachers as part of the Stage 6 mEsh project where 62 teachers led writing teams (over 150 teachers) across NSW.
Scope and sequence
Teachers can adapt the following units of work as required.
Year 12 - Module A - Texts and the human experience
Texts and human experiences - Past the Shallows
- Past the Shallows: Sample unit rationale and assessment outline (DOCX 45KB)
- Past the Shallows: Sample unit of work (DOCX 52KB)
- Past the Shallows: Sample assessment (DOCX 47KB)
- Past the Shallows: Resources (ZIP 1.3MB)
Texts and human experiences - Starter unit and resources
Year 12 - Module B - Language Identity and Culture
Language, identity and culture - Contemporary Asian Australian Poets
Language, identity and culture - Resources
- Glossary of key terms (DOCX 44 KB)
- Hyperlinks (DOCX 36 KB)
- Language identity and culture approaches (DOCX 62 KB)
- Overview and definitions (DOCX 41 KB)
- Petal scaffold on Benang (DOCX 42 KB)
- Taste like Australia vernacular worksheet (DOCX 37 KB)
- TedX talk Tui (DOCX 40 KB)
- What is culture mindmap (DOCX 35 KB)
Year 12 - Concurrent module - Focus on writing
HSC assessment material
- Sample DoE assessment schedule (DOCX 37 KB)
- Sample DoE listening paper (DOCX 41 KB)
- Sample DoE marking criteria listening paper (DOCX 40KB)
- Sample DoE paper 1 (DOCX 42KB)
- Sample DoE paper 1 marking criteria with answers (DOCX 45KB)
- Sample DoE paper 1 stimulus booklet (DOCX 42KB)
- Sample DoE paper 2 (DOCX 43KB)
- Sample DoE paper 2 marking criteria with answers (DOCX 39KB)
- Sample DoE scope and sequence (DOCX 43KB)