Instruments of the orchestra
Students will explore the instruments of the orchestra through a Prezi containing a series of videos.
Exploring varied sound sources of the four families of instruments within the western symphony orchestra.
Students will explore the instruments of the orchestra through a Prezi containing a series of videos. They will develop deep knowledge of the instruments, their families, expressive techniques and the role of a professional musician.
- 4.8 demonstrates an understanding of musical concepts through aural identification and discussion of the features of a range of repertoire
Cross-curriculum content and key competencies
- Information and communication technology
- Work, employment and enterprise
- Environment (life-skills)
All activities require students to demonstrate their learning and are all assessment for learning activities.
Teaching and learning activities
- discuss the layout of the families. Ask students:
- Who do you think sits in each colour?
- Why do you think they are that size?
- Why do you think they sit in that position?
- The layout of the orchestra (PDF 4.38MB) worksheet can assist with this.
- observe and discuss:
- the roles and responsibilities of the conductor
- the roles and responsibilities of professional musicians
- the instruments of the string family, including associated expressive techniques-
- pizzicato (featured in the first violin sway video)
- arco (featured in the first violin sway video)
- vibrato (featured in the first violin sway video)
- glissando (featured in second cello sway video).
- the instruments of the woodwind family
- the instruments of the brass family
- the instruments of the percussion family.
Literacy and numeracy
- learn the names of the instruments of each orchestral family
- learn the metalanguage associated with expressive techniques on string instruments.
- investigate and explore how orchestras and their layouts have changed over the centuries
- investigate and explore the expressive techniques possible on woodwind and brass instruments
Life skills outcomes
- LS 4 a student experiments in making musical sounds.
- complete a mind map of the instrument families and members of the families:
- double Bass
- harp and piano are visitors - not regular members
- flute and piccolo
- french horn
- castanets, triangle, snare drum, bass drum, gong, chimes, xylophone (to name a few)
- read through the information sheet in the resource section on the layout of the orchestra (PDF 4.38MB). Turn it into a cloze passage if desired.
- watch the YouTube clip on The Vegetable Orchestra Literally Plays with Their Food (00:02:45) discuss, and make instruments.
Formative feedback - students will contribute to class discussion
Summative feedback - create an account and sign in to Kahoot!. Students will participate in a Kahoot! about the instruments of the orchestra.
Reference list and resources
- Music 7-10 Syllabus copyright NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2003.
- The Orchestra swayExternal link and accompanying prompt sheet (PDF 4.28MB)
- The layout of the orchestra (PDF 4.38MB)
- The Vegetable Orchestra Literally Plays with Their Food (02:45)
- Instruments of the Orchestra Kahoot!