In the elective subject of dance students learn movement principles, stylised techniques, an ability to express ideas creatively and how to analyse dance as a work of art. They appreciate the dynamic cultural and historical role of dance through performance and composition.
When performing in dance students will:
- demonstrate an understanding of safe dance practice and appropriate dance technique
- demonstrates aspects of dance technique and the elements of dance
- demonstrates an understanding and application of performance quality and interpretation
When appreciating dance as an art form, students should:
- be able to describe dance performances and analyse dance as the communication of ideas
- identify and analyse how dance works of art express ideas
- apply understandings and experiences drawn from their own work and dance works of art
- value and appreciate their involvement as a dance performer, composer and audience member
Composition: a means of creating and structuring movement to express and communicate ideas.
- identifies and explores the elements of dance through stimuli to communicate ideas
- composes dance movement, using the elements of dance, that communicates ideas