Stage 6 drama students explore all aspects of theatre performance and styles through making, performance and critically studying. HSC students are required to undertake a written examination, participate in a group performance and complete an individual project. Students can select one of the options listed below for their individual project.
- Critical analysis (one of the following)
- director’s folio
- portfolio of theatre criticism
- applied research project.
- Design (one of the following)
- promotion and program
- Video drama.
Students will develop knowledge and understanding in making when:
- developing and adopting performance skills in a variety of theatrical situations, roles and characters
- interpreting, expressing and performing scripted and unscripted material through a variety of forms of media
- understanding, manipulating and analysing the use of the elements of drama in performance
- playbuilding and directing performances to communicate dramatic meaning as an individual and group performer
- demonstrating skills using the elements of production and valuing the contribution of an individual through the collaborative group performance process.
Students will develop knowledge and understanding in performing when:
- demonstrating performance skills with a dynamic and effective actor-audience relationship as an individual and group performer
- understanding the contribution and roles of the elements of production staff and how this attributes to how well an audience is engaged during a performance
- performing in a variety of styles and theatre spaces in a diverse range of theatrical contexts
- demonstrating exemplary knowledge of the elements of drama when performing
- appreciating the complexity of the performance process, commitment, focus and energy required for the theatre industry.
Students will develop knowledge and understanding in critically studying when:
- evaluating and appraising personal, professional and the performances of others in written and oral responses
- demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the impact of theatre and society as cultural and issues-based expressions in Australia and overseas
- researching, appreciating and analysing the value of various theatrical styles, the theatre industry and theatrical movements throughout history and the present.
Drama teaching and learning resources may be useful in the programming of drama in stage 6.