Stage 6 dance provides students with the opportunity to explore dance as an artform and a learning platform for academic, ethical and social development. Students with previous dance training are given the opportunity to study the creative, historical and cultural aspects of dance through performance, composition and appreciation. Through dance students will choreograph, perform, critically analyse, make judgments and gain knowledge and understanding in an enriching learning environment.
Dance teaching and learning resources may be useful in the programming of dance in Stage 6.
Dance as an artform
Students will develop knowledge, understanding and skills when studying dance as an artform when:
- analysing, understanding and responding to artistic, aesthetic and cultural perspectives of dance
- appreciating, valuing and developing skills in performance and the composition process
- understanding and acknowledging the diversity of the artform and its connection to other forms of media.
Students will develop knowledge, understanding and skills in dance performance when:
- identifying and understanding the physiology of the human body and its role in various styles of dance
- acquiring knowledge and experience in safe dance practice and performance skills
- valuing self-discipline and commitment when performing technical skills such as combinations, phrases and sequences.
Students will develop knowledge, understanding and skills in dance composition when:
- identifying, selecting, demonstrating, and responding to the elements of dance when analysing or choreographing a composition
- understanding various structures and knowledge of the compositional process
- recognising and devising personal expressive material while problem-solving
- valuing and using technical skills to explore, create and structure responses to personal styles or artistic concepts/intents.
Students will develop knowledge, understanding and skills through dance appreciation when:
- exploring and understanding the various artistic, social and cultural contexts of dance and their socio-historic contexts
- developing skills in recording information for active dance research and critical analysis
- valuing, appreciating and making judgments which analyse and critique artistic works and the reflective process of dance.