Continuity of learning
Young children arrive at school with a wealth of experiences and knowledge. Schools acknowledge this and use this prior knowledge as the basis for future learning.
Early assessments such as Best Start help the school understand students needs.
Further information for parents is available at NESA - Transitioning to school
The Continuity of Learning: a resource to support effective transition to school and school aged care (Charles Sturt University's Educational Transitions: Continuity and Change Research team) draws on the experiences of transition to school and school aged care from the perceptions of children, families, educators and communities. Each transition experience is presented as a narrative that reflects a specific approach and context.
Key documents to consider when planning a transition to school program:
- Belonging, Being & Becoming - the Early Years Learning Framework of Australia is the framework for all early childhood services across Australia. Its aim is to extend and enrich children's learning from birth to five years and through the transition to school.
- National Quality Framework includes a National Quality Standard for early childhood services around transition to school. Standard 6 focuses on collaborative relationships between early childhood settings and schools to support the continuity of learning and transitions for each child.
- NSW K-10 Syllabuses for Australian curriculum The syllabuses acknowledge the learning that children bring with them to school and reinforce that the movement into Early Stage 1 is part of a continuum of learning and must be planned for appropriately.
- Australian Professional Standards for Teachers asks teachers to show how they know their students and how they learn; how they create safe and supportive learning environments; and how they engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community.
- School Excellence Framework supports all NSW public schools in their pursuit of excellence. Schools use the framework as they engage with their communities to plan high quality transition to school programs.