Music extension is one of 3 Stage 6 music courses. This course is suitable for students who have had formal music training to a highly sophisticated level. Music extension is to be studied alongside Music 2 and allows a student to continue to refine their advanced music literacy and skills in performance, composition or musicology.
Assessment in the HSC (Music extension)
The Assessment in the HSC resource is designed to provide Stage 6 teachers with opportunities to develop their understanding of the assessment requirements for the practical and performance works in the HSC music 1, music 2 and music extension courses. It has been written to support and compliment the NESA Creative Arts Assessment and Reporting in Stage 6 music extension advice and requirements.
HSC music extension teachers can use this resource to:
- familiarise themselves with the requirements of each practical and performance component
- develop their understanding of the language of the NESA assessment criteria for each of the practical and performance works
- develop confidence in applying assessment criteria through identification and analysis of work sample characteristics
- assist Year 12 students in making informed choices when selecting course options
- build student confidence and knowledge of success in each practical and performance work.
The Composition resource booklet (DOCX 1,019 KB) will assist teachers in the delivery of the composition elective for the Music Extension course. This resource includes student materials and teaching information unpacking course requirements, the composition process and portfolios.