Why small-group tuition?
The last three years have been difficult for everyone - particularly students who have had their learning interrupted by COVID-19 and periods of learning from home. Teachers across the state ensured that quality learning continued despite periods of disruptions to face to face learning.
We know that the learning of some students was impacted by these disruptions.
Small group tuition, delivered by professional educators, is very effective in boosting students’ learning and helping them to quickly get back on track.
- What should small group tuition look like? Understand optimal group sizes, accounting for differing levels of ability, lesson lengths, lesson frequency, timetabling and modes of delivery.
- What subject areas have been the focus of previous research? Learn more about subject areas studied in existing small group tuition research.
- Who should deliver small group tuition? Understand who is most successful in delivering small group tuition in a school context.
- Which students might benefit from small group tuition? Learn more about the types of students who benefit most from small group tuition.
- Case studies will give you examples of successful small group tuition programs.
Grattan Institute research
- Read the Grattan Institute's COVID catch-up article and accompanying recommendations to help students disadvantaged most by the COVID period.
- Read the Grattan Institute's Tackling under-achievement report showing that embedding small group tuition in NSW schools has proven beneficial.