The NSW Department of Education has a strong commitment to the teaching of Aboriginal Languages in NSW public schools. They provide advice, guidance and support for schools in partnership with their local Aboriginal community.
The NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group Incorporated (NSW AECG Inc.) is an Aboriginal community based organisation which is recognised as the peak advisory body on all matters relating to Aboriginal Education. The AECG work collectively to revitalise, reclaim and maintain Aboriginal language and culture programs in schools and local Aboriginal communities.
Key supporters involved in the implementation of a local Aboriginal language and culture program include:
- NSW AECG Inc. through its network of regional and local AECGs.
- Local Elders group
- Local Aboriginal Land Councils
- Local Aboriginal language programs/groups
- Aboriginal language centres
- Regional Elders Groups
- Nest Reference Groups including local Elders, Traditional Owners and knowledge holder representatives, Language Centres
- Public Schools NSW
- Nest Base School
- Public schools participating in the Nest
- Aboriginal Language and Culture Nest Teacher
- Aboriginal Language Tutor
- NSW Department of Education
- Aboriginal Education and Communities Directorate (including Aboriginal Education and Community Engagement Unit)
- Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards NSW
- Aboriginal Affairs NSW
- NSW Department of Industry, Skills and Regional Development
- TAFE NSW