International Teacher Exchange
Through the program, teachers can swap positions and accommodation with a similarly placed overseas teacher for one year.
The International Teacher Exchange program can assist you to:
- Learn about a different education system.
- Expand teaching opportunities to enhance your proven outstanding teaching practice.
- Connect with international cultures and community.
Applications are currently closed.
About the program
Through the department's International Teacher Exchange Program, you could swap teaching positions and personal accommodation with a similarly placed overseas teacher for one year, commencing in January.
Our teacher exchange team recently co-ordinates exchanges to Canada, the United States of America and European International Schools, when available.
How it works
Applications are assessed on the basis of the selection criteria, professional experience, anticipated assignment for the exchange counterpart and your preferences, including location and accommodation requests.
After the closing date, the teacher exchange team will suggest possible placements to the Principals of selected applicants. If the exchange is accepted by the school, the placement will be offered to the applicant. The exchange will also need to be accepted by the overseas parties as well as the department.
Priority is given to exchange participants who are highly recommended by their Principal / Director.
Both unsuccessful and successful applicants will be notified of the outcome via email once the selection and matching process are complete.
Exchange classroom teachers receive their normal salary.
However, if you currently hold an executive or principal position and exchange to a lower executive or classroom teacher, you will receive the salary applicable to that level.
Accommodation is swapped, or provision is otherwise arranged which is suitable to both exchange participants.
Accommodation and vehicle exchange arrangements are entirely the responsibility of the exchange participants. The swapping of vehicles is not recommended.
To apply, you will need to satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Currently a permanent, full-time Department of Education (DoE) classroom teacher, executive staff member or principal
- Minimum 5 years full-time equivalent teaching experience with the DoE prior to the commencement of the exchange (through casual, part-time and/or full-time work)
- Willing to teach with the DoE for at least 12 months following the exchange
- Willing to prepare and present a two-page research brief on an educational topic chosen by the department (e.g. professional development, school policies and procedures, teaching and learning).
- Agree to comply with Terms and Conditions (PDF) of the exchange program.
To be considered for an exchange, teachers and executive staff will require the
endorsement of their Principal, and Principals who apply will require the endorsement of their Director.
Exchange selection is a competitive process. Applicants will be considered on their merit with preference being given to teachers who have:
- Demonstrated exceptional practice, priority is given to exchange participants who are highly recommended by their Principal / Director.
- A strong recommendation from their principal / director around their professional and personal suitability for an exchange.