The NSW Department of Education is partnering with Teach for Australia (TFA) to deliver the Teach for Australia pilot program. Under the program, up to 50 participants will begin a Masters of Teaching degree (Secondary) (Leading Learning) with Australian Catholic University (ACU) in October 2023.
Participants will complete a portion of their studies as well as an intensive Professional Experience (PEx) Academy before commencing employment as a teacher in a NSW public school in 2024. Remaining Master’s coursework will be completed while participants work in schools.
The two-year program features ongoing mentoring and support for all participants, including a TFA coach, an ACU academic mentor, a school mentor, and peer networks.
Financial support and benefits
- Receive a one-off study allowance
- Receive weekly release time to complete studies
- Gain valuable teaching experience across both metropolitan and rural school settings during professional placements
- Gain paid employment in a TFA partner school whilst studying
- Receive a permanent teaching position in a NSW public secondary school upon completion of the program
Ongoing mentoring and support
- Receive ongoing coaching, mentoring and support both in schools and within the local community
- Gain access to a peer network and TFA alumni community
- Work with an ACU appointed academic mentor