As part of the NSW Teacher Supply Strategy, the NSW Department of Education is launching a pilot program to support up to 100 School Learning Support Officers (SLSOs) to train as teachers within NSW public schools.
The Grow Your Own - Teacher Training Program will commence in Term 1, 2023, with a focus on rural, regional and high-demand metropolitan areas. The program will look to expand after the pilot with additional information being released as it becomes available.
The department is seeking to partner with an Initial Teacher Education provider to deliver an accredited and flexible teaching degree to meet the needs of experienced SLSOs.
- Early Term 4, 2022 - applications open
- Late Term 4, 2022 - applicants notified of outcome
- Term 1, 2023 - program commences
- $10,000 training allowance per year (up to $30,000)
- Engage in information and peer networking sessions
- Receive a permanent position in a NSW public school upon successful completion of your studies
Employment whilst studying
- Remain employed as an SLSO in your current school while studying
- Work part-time as an educational paraprofessional in your final 4 semesters of study