Module 1 Introduction
- Pre-requisite – completed Introduction to positive behaviour for learning
- Recommended – completed PBL School-wide systems of support
Prior to starting this course it is recommended that participants read the following:
- Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation (CESE)
- Classroom management (search within CESE)
- Effective classroom practice toolkit
Other suggested reading
- Association for Positive Behaviour Support Australia
- NSW Department of Education Positive Behaviour for Learning
- PBIS Missouri – Be mindful that we must contextualise everything to the NSW Department of Education and local schools context, systems and practices.
Welcome and purpose of this professional learning
Positive behaviour for learning professional learning includes a series of trainings undertaken over time. Each training builds the capacity to implement positive learning and wellbeing supports relevant to students, school and classroom context across the Care Continuum. Training includes:
- Introduction to Positive Behaviour for Learning (prerequisite course)
- Tier 1 Universal prevention: school-wide systems
- Tier 1 Classroom systems of support
- Tier 2 Targeted interventions and supports
- Tier 3 Intensive individualised supports
- PBL in the preschool
- PBL introduction to function behaviour assessment (FBA)
This professional learning:
- focuses on preventing and early intervention of inappropriate behaviour in classrooms
- builds teacher capabilities in environmental, behavioural and instructional supports and positive relationships:
Schools and teachers in their classroom:
- design systems that fit their context, focusing on supporting staff to be consistent
- collect and use data to inform decision-making
- put evidence-based teaching and learning practices in place that encourage appropriate behaviour.
This course was based on PBIS Missouri and contextualised for NSW Department of Education schools.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- understand classroom positive behaviour for learning
- develop, implement, monitor and evaluate positive relationships within the classroom; and environmental, behavioural and instructional supports within the classroom
- use data to inform decision making
- explain the benefits of positive, proactive and instructional approach to behaviour management.