Procedures for processing grant receipts in schools
From time to time schools may receive grants from agencies outside the Department.
Grants are non-repayable funds or products disbursed or gifted by one party (grant makers), often a government department, corporation, foundation or trust, to a recipient, often (but not always) a nonprofit entity, educational institution, business or an individual. In order to receive a grant, some form of proposal or an application is required.
Most grants are made to fund a specific project and require some level of compliance and reporting.
When receipting these grants it is important that the correct SAP material codes and general ledger accounts are used.
There are five general ledger accounts in SAP to record grants receipts. These are:
- Grants from DET Entities such as the Arts Unit, School Sport Unit, North Coast School Sport Association – Use GL account 430001
- Grants from Budget Sector Agencies such as the Department of Family and Community Services, Department of Premiers and Cabinet, Department of Industry, Environmental Trust, Office of Environment and Heritage, etc – Use Material Code 20024 (GST) or 20051 (No GST) and GL account 430003
- Grants from External Government Agencies such as Lifetime Care and Support Authority, local councils, government funded universities such as Southern Cross and Charles Sturt Universities – Use Material Code 20026 (GST) or 20040 (No GST) and GL account 430053. Also included in this category are;
- Public Non-Financial Corporations such as Sydney Water Corporation, Forestry Corporation of NSW, Hunter Water Corporation, Sydney Ferries and a number of other agencies.
- Public Financial Corporations such as Fair Trading Administration Corporation, Insurance and Care NSW, NSW Treasury Corporation and other agencies.
- Grants from Commonwealth Government such as Australian Sports Commission, Department of Defence, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, Department of Veteran’s Affairs, etc – Use Material Code 20050 (GST) or 20051 (No GST) and GL account 430054
- Grants from Private Sector such as NSW Cricket Association, Central Coast Leagues Club, Remondis Australia Pty Ltd, etc – Use Material Code 20052 (GST) or 20053 (No GST) and GL account 437502
A more exhaustive list of agencies and the appropriate general ledger account they fall into can be found on the Schools Finance website at;
SAP information: General ledger accounts – Source of Grants (PDF 90.64KB).
This list is regularly updated by Schools Finance.
If you have any queries regarding grants receipts please contact EDConnect on 1300 32 32 32 and have the incident assigned to SAP Schools Finance.
Schools are reminded that wherever possible, WBS elements or Internal Orders should be used for all grants receipting and expenses so that a full acquittal of the use of funds can be produced if required.