Teaching students about road safety contributes significantly to improving their own safety.
Reminding parents and carers about safe behaviours outside the school also contributes significantly to the safety of our students.
Other safety issues can be improved through planning, enforcement, engineering or environmental changes.
Some road safety issues may need to be referred to agencies outside of the department. These agencies include:
- local councils
- NSW Police
- bus operators
- Roads and Maritime Services.
Transport for NSW identifies the agencies to assist principals manage safety around schools.
Transport for NSW initiatives to support safety around schools
- School zone flashing lights are being installed outside schools across NSW.
- School Crossing Supervisors support safe crossings outside of schools. Principals can apply for a School Crossing Supervisor. T: 1300728543 E: email@example.com
- Drop-off and pick-up initiative provides parents and carers with a safe environment to drop off and collect their children from school by car.
- Pedestrian crossings on local roads are installed by councils and on state roads by Roads and Maritime Services.
- Flagged children's crossings (intranet) provides specific Department of Education's legal advice for principals