Late application requests
Applications for placement in Year 7 in 2023 close at 11:59pm on 17 November 2021. This date is strictly adhered to.
There is an opportunity to request approval to make a late application for placement in selective high schools if you missed the application deadline due to extenuating circumstances.
Am I eligible to make a late request?
The criteria for approving late applications are very strictly applied. Only approximately one third of late applications are generally considered to have sufficiently extenuating circumstances to meet the criteria for approval. The only circumstances under which a late application can be approved are:
- When parents are applying for placement of their children in selective high schools where there may be a shortage of suitable applicants, either for some rural schools or for a few metropolitan schools. The choices are locked for those applicants and they cannot be considered for other selective high schools even if they move their residence.
- Where both parents/carers have documentary evidence to support a claim that circumstances beyond their control prevented them from completing an application.
How do I make a late request?
1. If you've missed the application window and you think you meet the grounds for a late application, click + Create late application request, located on your selective high school application dashboard and submit the request.
2. Add student details, add school selections and provide grounds for consideration, then click Submit request.
3. The High Performing Students Team will review your request and may contact you or send you a message if clarification is required.
How do I send or reply to messages about the request?
To send a message, click + New message. Complete the fields, then click Send. The High Performing Students Team will review your message and respond to you within 21 days.
Any new messages from the High Performing Students Team will show under Messages. You can read a new message and depending on the type of message, you can reply to it.
Can I add supporting evidence to my late request?
You must add supporting documents which show that adults in the family were unable to apply for the whole time applications were available. You should upload supporting evidence to the late application request. You can also send it in a message to the High Performing Students Team but you should do so as soon as possible as your request will not be considered without supporting evidence.
You do not need to supply supporting documents if you are applying for schools which may have a shortage of suitable applicants.
Can I edit my late request after it has been submitted?
No, you can’t edit a late application request once it is submitted. You can send updates and additional information as a message to the High Performing Students Team.
My request has been approved. What now?
You need to complete the application and submit it immediately. After approval, you will be advised the date the application closes. After the late application period closes you will not be able to submit.
1. From the action menu, select Complete application. This will take you into the application form.
2. Complete all eight sections of your selective high school application.
Please note: Some of the details will be filled in from your late application request and some of these fields will be greyed out and can’t be updated or changed. You will need to complete all the other fields on the application form.
3. Submit your application. After submitting you can edit some details in the application dashboard.
How long does it take to receive an outcome?
The time taken for the decision about approval depends upon the circumstances and supporting evidence provided.
The High Performing Students Team will contact you when the outcome is determined.