- Use web pages, specialist apps, social media channels (including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), and text messaging to communicate.
- Produce Schools Video stories, movies, and video clips that are published on school websites.
- Enable family access to student work samples via digital portfolios of student work.
- Ensure rigour in the use of plain English in written communications.
- Utilise interpreters and translations to support families and students at meetings.
- Translate school signage in relevant languages including local Aboriginal languages to affirm the value the school places on the cultural background of students and connection to country.
- Allocate funding for technology to support the integration of the school’s approach to community consultation.
- Support technology integration across learning communities.
Communication is a two-way exchange. Changes made to current communication systems are a critical factor in schools’ success in consulting with their communities.
Technology Connecting Communities
Callaghan College Wallsend Campus (CCWC) caters for 1105 Year 7-10 students, including 12% of students who identify as Aboriginal.
The school established a range of strategies for information sharing via a strong digital presence. This allowed for all school and community communication to be easily accessed by students, parents and the wider community. The school then embarked on a wide consultation process to develop the school’s values and vision and continued with policy reviews, all conducted using the school's digital platforms.
The culmination of the consultation process was a school planning day at which parents, carers, students, staff and local Aboriginal Educational Consultative Group (AECG) representatives worked together. Over the past two years, parent and carer use of the school app and other digital communications has significantly grown, with more than 60% of families using these forms of communication. School consultation with the community is a continuous process using the school’s range of media channels.