Resources for schools
The following resources support effective practice in community consultation.
Working in partnership
- The Family-School Partnerships Framework was developed by the Australian Government Department of Education & Training. It provides a set of principles to guide families and schools in developing partnerships, and identifies seven key dimensions of effective family-school partnerships. The framework recognises that many positive developments and innovations are already occurring in schools and that a one-size-fits-all approach to partnerships is not feasible.
- MindMatters mental health framework informs the development of a whole school mental health strategy that’s right for your students and school community. MindMatters have developed a series of online modules and videos – component 3 helps schools to support parents and families.
- Partnerships for schools, businesses and communities – developed by the Australian Government Department of Education & Training. The guiding principles support partnerships between schools, business and communities to improve outcomes for young people.
Across the department
- Disability, learning and support developed an induction checklist for externally funded health, disability and wellbeing service providers that provide their services to students at the school during school hours. Access to the school by an externally funded provider is at the discretion of the principal.
- Aboriginal education and communities have a range of programs and staffing expertise to support schools working effectively with our Aboriginal communities, including Connected communities and Aboriginal language and culture nests.
- The calendar for cultural diversity promotes intercultural understanding, cultural and linguistic diversity, community harmony and social inclusion across NSW public schools and their communities. Culturally inclusive practice is important at the whole school level for every student.
- Schools that promote positive community relations with parents from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds often have specific, targeted strategies in place.
- Legal Services incorporates parents and community topic within the Legal education hub – including information on family law, AVOs and Community use of facilities.
Sharing stories of effective practice
- Filmpond - Engaging with your school community and Community consultation ponds showcase stories from schools
- Research from schools - Whalan PS highlighted in CESE research
- Other local and state government examples