Ready for primary school checklist
Checklists, activities and advice to help you and your child make the transition from preschool to primary school.
- If your child attends preschool or a long day care centre, talk to staff about their transition to school.
- Attend a school orientation or transition to school program and make sure you have the school’s phone number.
- Take your child to your local community health nurse or doctor for a health check and make sure their immunisations are up to date before school starts.
- If your child takes medication or has an allergy, a medical condition or additional needs, inform the school as early as possible and make an appointment to speak with school staff.
- Fill in a travel pass application if this applies to you. If needed phone 1800 227 774 or 02 9891 8900 or visit The School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS).
- Organise outside of school hours care.
- Practise safely walking or travelling to and from school.
- Continue reading to your child.
- Connect with your school and other parents on Facebook and Twitter.