Words you need to know - Everyday issues

Getting help and support can be hard enough without having to know the definitions of all the new words you encounter. We've put together this list so that you can understand what things mean and be on your way to support faster and easier.



  • Coach: A professional who helps plan and achieve your goals. ReachOut Parents have a free coaching program, learn more here.
  • Counsellor/School counsellor: A professional (usually with a social work or psychology degree) who uses talking and support to help you work through issues and problems.
  • Social worker: A professional who provides support to improve your wellbeing, including addressing disadvantage. You’ll find social workers in a variety of roles like casework, counselling, and community work.
  • Student Support Officer: A school staff member who works in collaboration with community services to identify and intervene early with teenagers who have additional needs or are at risk of disengagement.
  • Welfare teacher: A regular teacher who is also responsible for the health and wellbeing of students, promoting personal and social development and fostering positive attitudes.


We’ve borrowed this content from ReachOut – Australia’s leading online mental health organisation for young people and their parents – with their permission. You can find the original article here. Check out more of their full range of practical support, tools and tips at ReachOut.com and ReachOut.com/Parents.

Return to top of page