Preparing your application
A step-by-step guide to help you put together a game-changing application!
What the judges are looking for
The video applications will be judged on the quality of your idea, not the production of your video. The design thinking trifecta of desirability, feasibility and viability forms the basis of the judging criteria. The judges will be looking for:
- evidence of deep thinking in response to the real-world wicked problem and how your idea will improve lives of others.
- the ability to transfer the idea into a tangible concept.
- evidence of the desire to learn about the design thinking methodology.
- enthusiasm, enthusiasm, enthusiasm!
Where to from here
Step 1 - Build your team
You will need five students and one teacher to make up your team. Supervising teachers can be from any subject area. The junior category is for students from Years 3 to 6, the senior category is for students from Years 7 - 12. Schools can submit more than one application, providing each student team member is different. One teacher can oversee multiple teams.
Step 2 - Register your interest
The teacher heading up the team (or the principal) will need to complete the register your interest form
Step 3 - Create your video
- Introduce each of your teammates and let us know what school you are from.
- Tell us about your game-changing idea for the real-world wicked problem and how it will improve the lives of others.
- Read through the ideas and inspiration information for tips on what to include.
- Shoot your video on a smart phone or try out our new and easy to use Schools Video platform (staff only) where you can upload footage, create videos and share to social channels and school websites.
- We want your team to focus on coming up with an idea for the question, not the production of the video!
- Don't forget, applications close Thursday, 9 April 2020.
Step 4 - Submit your application
- The teacher heading up the team or the principal will need to submit the application.
- You will need to be logged in to your Department of Education Google address to access the forms.
Step 5 - Wait for the announcement
A panel of experts will judge the videos and select the 84 teams to participate in the semi finals.
Send an email GCC@det.nsw.edu.au to the #GCC2020 team and we will be in touch as soon as we can.