Tips and tricks for preparing your application
What is a Game Changer?
A Game Changer is someone who is passionate, dedicated, visionary and a team player. A deep and creative thinker who recognises the good in themselves and the good in others, and works collaboratively to achieve exceptional results.
We all have special superpowers, that’s what makes us unique. It’s the force of all the superpowers working together that allows magic to happen. Some of the superpowers we have identified in the Game Changer Challenge promotional film are the storyteller; the maker; the creator; the number-cruncher; the idea guru; and the organiser, but each team will be unique and reflective of the special talents your school nurtures.
How do we make our video?
You can make your video anyway you like - iPhone, DSLR camera, iMovie are some suggestions. There are many programs and mobile applications available that make filmmaking easy and fun - so jump online and do some research.
What should we include in our video?
- Capture a bit of your school on camera - what does it look like? What makes your school unique?
- Introduce each of your teammates and their super powers.
- Tell us about your team’s visionary ideas for how we might humanise technology.
- For example, will we have driverless cars that can detect and prevent collisions on the road?
- Will our smart phones be able to detect when we are feeling sad and alert our friends?
- Will the miniaturisation of solar panels and storage batteries mean we can generate power on the go?
Need some inspiration on the topic? Here is some suggested reading.
Tips for making a good video
- Hold the camera steady while filming or use a tripod if you are filming people speaking
- Make sure your subject is well-lit
- Write a script and rehearse to make sure it fits within 60 seconds
- If you’re accompanying the film with music, find an impactful soundtrack that matches the mood of your vision.
What are the judges looking for?
- A team of diverse skill sets/superpowers
- Evidence of deep thinking in response to the question, How might we humanise technology?
- Enthusiasm for participating in the challenge and evidence of a desire to learn about design thinking.