Sports and recreation
Sports is a huge industry in Australia and this is due to its widespread popularity across the country. 90% of Australian adults have an interest in sport, with 8.4 million adults and 3 million children participating in sport each year. Sports can be driven from local clubs and communities through to huge multi million dollar organisations. The Federal government also substantially funds sport. Popular sports in Australia include cricket, tennis, various football codes and swimming.
Recreation covers community areas like gyms, botanical gardens, sports camps, amusement centres and gambling. Recreation is seen as very important for the well being of local communities and is funded by both local and state government as well as the private sector.
- Sports Coaches
- Gym Manager
- Professional athlete or sports player
- Sports agent
- Sports club official
- Leisure centre manager
- Outdoor adventure guide
- Sports referee
Would it suit me?
The industry could suit you if you:
- Love being fit and are interested in health and nutrition
- Like to motivate, teach and coach
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Like to help the community
- Like to plan and organise indoor or outdoor recreation activities
- Are good at communicating with people
How do I get into the industry?
Some of the most popular courses in this industry include:
- Certificate III in Fitness
- Certificate II in Sport and Recreation
- Certificate IV in Leisure and Health
- Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management
- Certificate III in Outdoor Leadership
- Certificate III in Sport Coaching
Speak to your school to find out more.