Activities to prepare your child for primary school
Give your child a head start by practising the skills they will use in Kindergarten with them.
Video: Advice for starting Kindergarten
Read the transcript for Back to School 2019: Advice for starting Kindergarten video.
Practise skills your child will use in school
- Set up a play date for your child to play with a friend. Encourage them to practise their social skills and making friends.
- Check out the local library and let your child choose books to borrow.
- Take a ball to a park to throw, catch and kick together.
- Encourage your child to use the toilet independently if possible - including urinals for boys - and practise good hand-washing techniques.
- Practise safely walking or travelling to and from school.
- Continue reading to your child. Read Daisy's First Day together.
Encourage your child to practise new things
- Help your child put on their school shoes and walk in them.
- Let them try dressing in their school uniform. Practise skills like using buttons, zippers, velcro and taking hats on and off.
- Encourage them to write the letters of the alphabet.
- Let them practise drinking from the bubbler.
- Guide them to cut and paste pictures from a magazine and draw pictures.
- Organise a picnic with a packed lunch and encourage your child to open it and eat the food by themselves.
- Let them practise packing their own bag and opening and closing the bag.
How to make the transition smoother
Find out about Kindergarten orientation and transition programs to help your child experience school before it begins.