Video game and TV activities
The school holidays are coming, which means your children are about to have a lot of free time and nowhere to go. To support our parents and children we’ve compiled a list of video game and tv activities to stimulate minds and keep your children busy and engaged during this period.
Like every other activity on this list, your child should only participate in video games in moderation. Here are some fun and educational video games your children could enjoy during the school holidays:
- LEGO Creator Islands: This is a free digital lego game that can be downloaded from Google Play Store or the Apple Store.
- Solar System with Astro Cat: This game will teach your children about the solar system and space.
Like every other activity on this list, your child should only participate in TV time in moderation. Here are a few ways you can use the TV to keep your child occupied during the school holidays:
- Movie time: Since your children can’t go to the movies, it might be worthwhile having a movie night. You can make popcorn and dim the lights, and make it a real experience.
- Tell me a story: Another alternative for this, is have your child watch an age appropriate movie by themselves and get them to tell you about it the next day. This will improve their storytelling and comprehension skills.
- Documentaries: As an alternative to some of the online educational platforms, your child can watch documentaries on TV. You can also ask them what the documentary was about, as this will help them to remember what they learnt and improve their storytelling and comprehension skills.
- TV series: There are a wide variety of children/pre-teen/ teen TV series availible out there. Your children probably already have their favourites that they watch regularly. To keep the conversation stimulating you can ask your children what happened in the most recent episode and what they thought about it.
These are just some activities we found, feel free to look for your own or change them to suit your needs. Let us know about the ones you tried or ones we missed that you think should be added to the list.
Find some more recreational activities and ideas to try in our helpful guide.