Planning holiday activities
The school holidays are here, which means your child is about to have a lot of free time. To support parents and carers, we’ve compiled a list of activities to help keep your child curious and learning during this period.
- Have a plan: With children involved, things might not always happen the way you hoped but having a plan can definitely help.
- Schedule activities: Each activity is only meant to engage your child for 30 minutes - 1 hour, this means you’ll need to create a schedule to involve a few different activities to keep your child engaged throughout the day. This doesn’t mean you need to plan every minute of every day. Allow for flexibility, for example if your child wants to do something else or wants to keep doing an activity for longer.
- Be prepared: Some activities might require ingredients or supplies, so you may want to prepare for these activities ahead of time.
- Take a break: Create solo activities that ensure your child is engaged in something but doesn’t require your constant involvement. This will allow you to take a break as well.
Keep it social
Normally, during the school holidays your children would be spending time with their friends and family. This school holiday it may not be possible to the same extent, but you should still schedule time for your child to catch up with their loved ones. For example, you can:
- Set up online play dates with friends: Not only will your child love seeing and spending time with their friends but it'll also give you some down time.
- Online bonding time: Video chat with grandparents or extended family to ensure everyone remains connected and spends time together.
- Virtual story time with grandparents: This could be a fun way for your children to spend time with their grandparents and ensure their grandparents feel and stay connected.
The activities in this list are general suggestions. You will know which activities are best suited to your child and their interests.
Find more recreational activities and ideas to try in our helpful guide.