Opportunity Class placement test
Where to find information for parents and carers about the Opportunity Class placement test (OC test) for their child.
Applications for Year 5 Opportunity Class placement in 2021 closed on 26 June 2020. See Key dates.
What are Opportunity Classes?
Opportunity Classes located in NSW public primary schools cater for academically gifted Year 5 and Year 6 students with high potential. These classes help students learn by grouping them with students of similar ability, using specialised teaching methods and educational materials at the appropriate level.
Learn more at Opportunity Class for Year 5.
What parents and carers need to know
- Key dates for the OC test.
- The application process – you should apply for entry to an Opportunity Class when your child is in Year 4. Learn more about the application process including what's required and applying for disability provisions.
- List of Opportunity Classes in NSW – Opportunity Class is a two-year program in Year 5 and Year 6.
- The test – Access OC test information including preparation tips, sample tests from previous years and what to bring on test day.
- Outcome placement information – an outcome can be an offer, a reserve place (waiting list) or unsuccessful.
- Selection process – Your child's placement score is calculated based on their test outcome as well as a score provided by your child's school based on their work at school.
Learn more about the Opportunity Classes and the OC test.
Access OC factsheets in 35 other languages:
The High Performing Students Team administers the opportunity class placement process. Learn more about the team or contact them at their Contact us page.