Helping your child with primary school maths
Teachers talk about how parents can help kids understand maths homework.
At a glance
- Maths today is about understanding number patterns, not learning by rote.
- There is always more than one way to get the right answer.
- Children are taught mental strategies, like using number lines, to figure problems out in their heads.
- Ask ‘What is the question asking you?’
- Practise the times tables.
- Don't jump in with the answers.
- Stay positive.
- Talk to the teacher if your child needs more help with the homework.
Video – ‘Helping your child with primary school maths’
Duration – 4:59