General tips to support your child's learning
Tips by teachers for parents and carers on how to best support their child's learning at home.
- Ask your child what they’re learning at school and if they have any assignments or homework.
- Ask your child if there’s anything they don’t understand and work with them on it at home.
- Be aware that children may have short attention spans and low energy at the end of the day. Aim for short, regular homework sessions, ideally a little everyday.
- For older children, use a term assessment planner to schedule assignments and exams. Break down tasks and make ‘to-do’ lists to spread out the workload.
- Encourage your child to start assignments as soon as they receive them. This will reduce any night-before stress.
- Have a set place where children can do their homework. Collect any equipment they’ll need, such as pens and pencils, highlighters, scissors, glue, scrap paper, ruler, calculator, printing paper, computer and internet access, and a printer.
For specific tips to support your child's learning, visit out Learning pages: