Essay writing – checklist
Use this essay writing checklist to help plan and complete your essay.
- Read the question carefully.
- Underline the key words (e.g. discuss, explain, compare) and consider what type of essay you are required to write.
- Use information sources that are relevant and accessible.
- Write notes in your own words.
- Reference quotes properly if you are using quotations or information directly from other sources.
- Brainstorm ideas, words, memorable parts of texts etc and jot these thoughts down on paper.
- Develop a key argument or idea for your essay.
- Organise notes into a plan. The level of planning will depend on the type of essay.
- Make sure every point is relevant to the question.
- Write the introduction. This should open the discussion and engage the reader.
- Write the main body of the essay. Ensure each point is given a new paragraph and provide supporting evidence for each point that you make.
- Write the essay conclusion. Summarise the main ideas and demonstrate how you have proven your point. The conclusion should reaffirm the introduction.
- Edit the draft. Check for spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Make sure the final copy is clean and neat, including any footnotes or bibliography.