The first step in the enrolment process is always to contact your local public school.

The staff there can discuss your child’s strength and talk through the kind of support they may need. You can find your local public school using the School Finder.

Talk to your local school

Your local school is where you make first contact even if:

  • your child has additional needs and you are not sure if this is the school they will attend
  • you’re not sure where you’ll be living when your child starts school.

Your child will be welcomed at their local school regardless of any learning and support needs they may have. Enrolment arrangements for students with disability and additional learning and support needs are the same as for all students.

When enrolling you will need to provide staff with:

  • a copy of your child’s birth certificate
  • immunisation records
  • details of any medication that your child takes
  • proof of your child’s address (for example, a lease notice, rates notice or electricity bill)
  • your child's passport, travel documents, or visa if your child is not a permanent resident.

You can find out more about enrolling your child at Primary school enrolment.

Contact us

If you need further assistance you can also call your local education office on 131 536.

Return to top of page Back to top