Contacting existing support networks
You can find support for your child through a variety of government and community services.
You can get in touch with local support services via:
- Your NDIS local area coordinator or NDIS Early Childhood Partner
- Your local child and family health care centre
- Your family GP
- Your local council, and
- My Time, a free government-supported service for parents of children with disabilities.
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- NSW Government disability services
- Disability Advocacy Finder
- The Australian Government Disability Gateway
- Caring for children with a disability
Lead by early childhood facilitators, supported playgroups are parent or carer and child get-togethers aimed at building your child’s confidence and helping them develop social skills.
These are some of the playgroups designed for children with disability or additional needs. You may also be referred to other playgroups in your local area.
- Playconnect Playgroups - Playconnect is a playgroup program for children on the autism spectrum or with developmental delays and their families, with over 40 locations across Australia
- Lifestart Open Play - Lifestart Open Play is weekly supported playtime and a social activity for children with disability or developmental delay.
- My Time Local Groups - MyTime is an organisation for parents and carers of children with a disability, developmental delay or chronic medical condition. It has local groups which meet regularly.
You can also use the Playgroup NSW website to search for different kinds of playgroups across the state, including playgroups dedicated to children with disability or additional needs.
General disability and carers support organisations
You may find the following organisations can give you support, depending on you and your child’s needs:
- Carers Australia
- Children with Disability Australia
- All Means All - Australian Alliance for Inclusive Education
- Family Advocacy
- People with Disability Australia’s Wayfinder Hub
- Re-imagine Australia
Organisations for specific disabilities
These are some of the organisations set up to help support people with specific disabilities.