The big day
The first day of Kindergarten is a big event in your child’s life – and that of your entire family. To help you make the most of the day and enjoy the experience, here are some helpful tips.
The night before
- Lay out your child’s clothes, shoes and socks.
- Make your child’s morning tea and lunch and put itin the fridge.
- Help your child pack their school bag.
- Pack a spare pair of underpants, socks and a change of clothes. Let your child know these are there in case they have any toilet accidents at school..
On the day
- Have confidence in your child and let them dress themselves.
- Apply sunscreen and get your child to wear their hat on the way to school.
- Don’t forget to take photos!
- Make sure you pick your child up on time.
Get ready for Kindegarten checklist
If your child attends an early childhood education service, talk to staff about their transition to school.
Attend a school orientation or transition to school program and make sure you have the school’s phone number. If you need help with English, ask for an interpreter to be present at the orientation meeting. The school will arrange one if required.
If your child takes medication or has an allergy, a medical condition, disability or additional learning and support needs, inform the school as early as possible and make an appointment to speak with school staff.
Practise safely walking or travelling to and from school.
Apply for a school Opal card if needed. Phone 131 500 or go to Transport for NSW student travel.
Contact the school for an enrolment pack.
Take your child to your local community health nurse or doctor for a health check and make sure their immunisations are up to date before school starts. For details visit NSW Health immunisation.
Organise outside of school hours care, if needed.
Talk about the plan for after school pickup.
Next up ➜
Get advice from one of our Kindergarten teachers to learn other ways you can prepare your child for the first day and week.