The big day
The first day of Kindergarten is a big event in your child’s life – and that of your entire family. To help you make the most of the day and enjoy the experience, here's a handy checklist to help you prepare.
Mini checklist: Getting ready for primary school
- Write down the date your child will start school and keep it in your diary – or even on the fridge.
- Make sure your child can use the toilet independently – including urinals for boys – and practise good hand-washing techniques.
- Write your child’s name on all their school things and involve your child in organising them and recognising their name.
- Make sure your child’s name is not visible on the outside of anything they’ll be wearing to and from school.
- Help your child prepare at home by practising some of the skills they'll use at school.
The night before
- Lay out your child's clothes, shoes and socks.
- Make your child's morning tea and lunch and pop it in the fridge.
- Help your child pack their school bag.
- Pack a spare pair of underpants, socks and a change of clothes. Let your child know these are there in case they have any toilet accidents at school.
On the day
- Be confident with your child and let them dress themselves as much as possible.
- Tie back or plait long hair.
- Apply sunscreen and take a hat.
- Don't forget to take photos.
- Pick your child up on time.
Next up ➜
Get advice from one of our Kindergarten teachers to learn other ways you can prepare your child for the first day and week.