Activities to prepare your child for primary school
Give your child a head start by practising the skills they will use in Kindergarten with them.
- Set up a play date for your child to play with a friend.
- Check out the local library and let your child choose books to borrow.
- Take a ball to a park to throw, catch and kick together.
- Organise a picnic with a packed lunch and encourage your child to open it and eat the food by themselves.
- Read Daisy's First Day (PDF 5650.96KB) together.
- Putting on their school shoes and walking in them.
- Dressing in their school uniform.
- Writing alphabet letters.
- Drinking from bubblers.
- Cutting and pasting pictures from a magazine and drawing pictures.
Mini checklist: Getting ready for primary school
- Write down the date your child will start school and keep it in your diary – or even on the fridge.
- Make sure your child can use the toilet independently – including urinals for boys – and practise good hand-washing techniques.
- Write your child’s name on all their school things and involve your child in organising them and recognising their name.
- Make sure your child’s name is not visible on the outside of anything they’ll be wearing to and from school.
Next up ➜
Find out about Kindergarten orientation and transition programs to help your child experience school before it begins.