Activities to prepare your child for primary school
Give your child a head start by practising the skills they will use in Kindergarten with them.
- Set up a play date for your child to play with a friend.
- Check out the local library and let your child choose books to borrow.
- take a ball to a park to throw, catch and kick together.
- Organise a picnic with a packed lunch and encourage your child to open it and eat the food by themselves.
- Read Daisy's First Day (PDF 5650.96KB) together.
- Putting on their school shoes and walking in them.
- Dressing in their school uniform.
- Writing alphabet letters.
- Drinking from bubblers.
- Cutting and pasting pictures from a magazine and drawing pictures.
Ready for primary school checklist
- Write down the date your child will start school and keep it in your diary – or even on the fridge.
- Make sure your child can use the toilet independently – including urinals for boys – and practise good hand-washing techniques.
- Write your child’s name on all their school things and involve your child in organising them and recognising their name.
- Make sure your child’s name is not visible on the outside of anything they’ll be wearing to and from school.
How to make the transition smoother
Find out about Kindergarten orientation and transition programs to help your child experience school before it begins.