Supporting your child

Your child’s teacher is your partner in supporting their education.

Your child’s teacher will let you know the best way to keep in touch with them and find out about your child’s progress. Keep your child’s teacher informed of any changes in your child’s life that may affect their learning or enjoyment of school.

How to find the right person if you have questions or concerns

The best education happens when families and schools work together.

If you have questions about your child starting Kindergarten, aim to contact your local school before term starts. You can find information about the enrolment process and find your local school on our website

Once your child has started school, you may have questions or concerns. Your child’s teacher is often the best place to start if you would like to talk about your child’s progress. If you aren’t sure who to talk to, your child’s teacher or school office staff can give you the right contact details.

You can also provide feedback to the department.

Engaging with your child’s education

Relationship building is the most important part of transitioning to school. Your school is committed to working with you to ensure you have all the information and support you need to help your child get the most out of school. In addition, you have the right to feel welcome at school, be treated fairly and be able to actively participate in your child’s schooling.

In return, we ask that you interact with the school community in a positive way. This includes your child’s teacher, school staff, other children and their parents and carers. We are all partners in our children’s education.

School staff have the right to feel safe in their workplace without experiencing intimidating actions, language, or inappropriate and unhelpful communications.

All of our interactions and communications – including those about difficult or complex issues – should be timely, respectful, transparent and focused on solutions.

All public schools in NSW have a School Community Charter which provides the framework for school-based behaviour and interactions. This charter lists clear expectations for the school community. If you think a communication or interaction has not been handled in line with the charter, please raise this with your school or the department.

High potential and gifted

High potential and gifted children are those whose potential is more advanced compared to their same-age peers in one or more domains: intellectual, creative, social-emotional or physical. Opportunities exist in all NSW public schools for high potential and gifted children. Contact your school to talk with the principal.

Support for students who are learning English

Schools provide support for students learning English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) to assist their full participation in schooling.

High school age students in the early phases of learning English may be eligible to receive intensive English language tuition in an Intensive English Centre or Intensive English Class.

Contact your school to discuss how the needs of EAL/D learners are met.

Aboriginal students

In some communities, there are tailored transition programs working to enhance the educational outcomes for Aboriginal students. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parents and carers are encouraged to participate in the development of their child’s personalised learning pathway (PLP). For more information about tailored transition programs and PLPs, contact your school.

Kids Helpline

If your child is having a tough time and needs someone to talk to, let them know they can call or chat to someone at Kids Helpline.

Kids Helpline gives young people aged 5 to 25 free phone and online counselling support.

  • Call and chat service operates 24/7
  • Ph: 1800 551 800

Additional support

Public schools provide a range of other staff who contribute to personalised learning and support for students where needed.

These positions include:

  • learning and support teachers and school learning support officers (SLSO)
  • specialist vision and hearing itinerant teachers
  • English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) teachers
  • community information and liaison officers
  • home school liaison officers
  • Aboriginal education officers and teams.

Contact your school office if you think your child would benefit from these support services or you would like to know more.


  • Teaching and learning


  • Preparing
  • Primary school
  • Wellbeing

Business Unit:

  • Communication and Engagement
Return to top of page Back to top