Supporting your child

Your child’s teacher is your partner in supporting their education.

Your child’s teacher will let you know the best way to keep in touch with them and find out about your child’s progress. Keep your child’s teacher informed of any changes in your child’s life that may affect their learning or enjoyment of school.

How to find the right person if you have questions or concerns

The best education happens when families and schools work together.

If you have questions about your child starting Kindergarten, our website has information on the enrolment process and finding your local school. Contact your local school if you want to talk to someone before term starts. If you have questions about your child’s progress and readiness for school, speak to your child’s early childhood educator, doctor or your local primary school.

Once your child has started school, you may have questions or concerns. Your child’s teacher is often the best place to start if you would like to talk about your child’s progress. If you aren’t sure who to talk to, your child’s teacher or school office staff can give you the right contact details.

You can also provide feedback to the department.

Engaging with your child’s education

Relationship building is at the heart of the transition to school process. Your school is committed to working with you to ensure you have all the information and support you need to help your child get the most out of school. In addition, you have the right to feel welcome at school, to be treated fairly and to be able to actively participate in your child’s schooling.

We ask that in return you commit to making your interactions with your child’s teachers, other school staff, other parents and other children positive. We are all partners in our children’s education. Every child has the right to expect their best interests will shape our decision making and actions.

School staff have the right to feel safe in their workplace and be free of intimidating actions or language as well as inappropriate or unhelpful communications. All our interactions and communications – including those about difficult or complex issues – should be timely, respectful, transparent and focused on solutions.

All public schools in NSW have a School Community Charter which provides the framework for school-based behaviour and interactions. The charter creates clear expectations and a framework by which we can all be held to account. If at any time you think a communication or interaction has not been handled in line with the charter, please raise this with your school or the department.

High potential and gifted

High potential and gifted children are those whose potential is more advanced compared to their same-age peers in one or more domains: intellectual, creative, social-emotional or physical. Opportunities exist in all NSW public schools for high potential and gifted children. Contact your school to talk with the principal about the programs offered.

Support for students who are learning English

If your child is learning English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) they may require additional support to develop English language skills. Schools provide language support for EAL/D learners to participate fully in schooling, including support for children who speak Aboriginal English at home. Contact your school to discuss with the principal how the needs of EAL/D learners are met.

Aboriginal students

In some communities, there are additional tailored transition programs working to enhance the educational outcomes for Aboriginal students. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parents and carers are encouraged to participate in the development of their child’s personalised learning pathway (PLP). For more information about tailored transition programs and PLPs, contact your school.

Additional support

Public schools provide a range of other staff who contribute to personalised learning and support for students where needed.

These positions include:

  • learning and support teachers and school learning support officers (SLSO) also known as teachers’ aides
  • specialist vision and hearing itinerant teachers
  • English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) teachers
  • community information and liaison officers
  • home school liaison officers
  • Aboriginal education officers and teams.

Contact your school office if you think your child would benefit from these support services or you would like to know more.

Next up ➜

Learn about supporting your child during a crisis

Return to top of page Back to top