Learning at preschool
Your child’s learning at preschool will build on what they have been learning at home.
Children learn through play. Your child’s interests will direct the learning experiences the teacher plans for your child through play.
Through these learning experiences, your child will explore and experiment. They will develop their skills in solving problems, communicating and socialising. They will also develop self-esteem, confidence and the foundations for their formal learning.
The learning program in preschool is guided by the Early Years Learning Framework for Australia.
Learning every day in every way through play
- Playing games with others.
- Learning about culture, community and family.
- Appreciation and care for the environment including sustainability practices.
- Moving the body and being active.
- Expressing self through painting, craft and collage.
- Listening to, making and moving to music.
- Learning about numbers, counting, measurement, patterns and shape.
- Listening to, making sense of and creating stories, songs and rhymes.
- Using senses to explore the environment including sand, clay, water and natural materials.
- Using tools and resources to be curious, investigate, construct and take apart.
- Imaginative play including role play, puppets, engaging with the natural world and making up games and stories.
Supporting your child's learning
Children learn best when families and the preschool work together. You know your child better than anyone else, so you can help the teacher understand your child by sharing information about their interests and any additional needs.
Here are some ways to support your child at preschool:
- Find out as much as you can about the preschool, such as the routines and what your child needs to bring to preschool.
- Get involved in your child’s preschool, such as volunteering.
- Talk with the preschool team about activities you can do with your child at home, such as reading with your child.
- Talk with the preschool team about your child’s learning and raise any concerns or issues early, so you can work together to resolve them.
- Talk with your child each day about what they did at preschool.
- Connect with other parents and carers.
- Choose activities from our digital learning packs to support your child's learning at home.
- Starting Blocks - learn about developmental milestones for children, what to expect from early childhood education and child care services, and search for these services in Australia.
- Early childhood education and care providers – find a service provider for early childhood education and care near your home, workplace or other location.