Healthy preschool routines
Help your child create healthy routines and habits before they start school, from eating a nutritious breakfast every morning to getting a good night's rest.
A good start
A nutritious breakfast will help set your child up to have the best day possible at preschool. It will help them to concentrate and give them energy to play. It will also help them develop good eating patterns for the rest of their life.
Walking safely to and from preschool
- Always hold your child’s hand.
- If your hands aren’t available, insist your child holds the pram, your bag or your clothes.
- Only let go of your child’s hand when you’re safely inside the preschool grounds.
- Always cross roads and through car parks at the safest place and where possible, walk further to use pedestrian facilities such as footpaths, pedestrian crossings or traffic lights.
Driving safely to and from preschool
Always fasten your child’s seatbelt securely and buckle your child up safely in an approved child restraint or booster seat that is right for their age and size, even if you’re in a hurry.
Always get in and out of the ‘safety door’ (the rear left door closest to the footpath).
As your child’s first teacher, always role model safe and responsible road user behaviour because they copy what you do. Help them practice the road safety messages by talking about them when you are out and about.
Share this information with your child’s carers such as grandparents, nannies and friends who may take your child to and from preschool.
A good night's sleep
Children need a good sleep each night to be able to cope with the adventures and fun of preschool. NSW Health recommends preschoolers (aged 3-5 years) get 10 to 13 hours of good quality sleep, which may include a nap, with consistent sleep and wake-up times.
A good sleep will help your child to:
- pay attention and concentrate
- problem solve and think of new ideas
- play sensibly and enjoy their day.
Did you know?
The preschool will ask you to sign your child in on arrival and out on departure every day. Make sure you sign this register, which you can usually find at the preschool entrance.