Additional support for high school students

The best education happens when families and schools work together.

Transition programs

Many schools begin a transition program during Term 3 and 4 of Year 6. Make sure you attend any orientation or ‘meet the teacher’ events offered by your school. It will make Year 7 easier if you know what to expect, how the school works and who to talk to about issues. Staying in touch with your child’s progress is harder than primary school as they may have a different teacher for each subject. Getting to know the staff is important.

Support services and counselling

Support is available for your child, and any child that needs it. All NSW public schools have access to psychological expertise through the school counselling service. School counselling staff can help students who are having difficulty at school or home. They can connect families with services outside of school, if needed. You may need to make an appointment to access the school’s counselling or psychology services by phoning the school.

Support networks and staff

If your child has a disability or additional learning and support needs, start planning early to support your child’s successful transition to high school. Every high school has a learning and support team or teacher who can support your child’s transition.

High schools have the same kinds of supports available as primary schools. If your child has adjustments or supports in place in primary school, you should have access to similar adjustments for your child in high school.

Together with the school, you can identify educational options that best support your child’s individual learning needs and the most appropriate curriculum options and adjustments for your child.

English learners

If your child is learning English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) they may require additional support to develop their English language skills. Schools provide language support for EAL/D learners to participate fully in schooling.

Newly arrived EAL/D learners with limited English language skills may also be eligible to attend an Intensive English Centre or Intensive English Class. Contact your school to discuss how the needs of EAL/D learners are met.

Telephone interpreter service

If you would like more information from the school and you need an interpreter, please call the Telephone Interpreter Service on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. Tell the operator the phone number of the school you want to call and the operator will get an interpreter on the line to assist you with the conversation. You will not be charged for this service

School contributions

All NSW public schools can request contributions to enhance educational and sporting programs. School contributions are voluntary and payment is a matter for decision by parents.

Financial assistance for elective subjects

Schools may charge for elective subjects that go beyond the minimum requirements of the curriculum. Parents who are unable to pay for elective subjects because of financial hardship may be eligible for assistance from the school. The principal will ensure no student or family suffers any discrimination or embarrassment over failure to make a voluntary or subject contribution.


  • Teaching and learning


  • Additional needs
  • High school
  • Support
  • Wellbeing

Business Unit:

  • Communication and Engagement
Return to top of page Back to top