How to enrol in a primary school

Take these steps to enrol your child in a NSW public primary school.

Every child has the right to attend a school in the area where they live. Use the school finder tool to determine your child’s local school

The school principal can help you with any questions you may have about enrolling your child.

The enrolment process

For general enrolment in all NSW public schools, you will need to complete the Application to enrol in a NSW Government school form for your child.

The application needs to be completed in English but a translated Application to enrol may help you complete the process.

You may be asked to attend an interview at the school.

This is a good time to advise the school of any special circumstances, allergies, health or medical conditions. The school may also complete a risk assessment.

If you are enrolling your child for the first time in a NSW public school, please bring the following documents with you:

  • your child’s birth certificate or identity documents.
  • proof of your child's address
  • immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register.
  • any family law or other court orders, if applicable.
  • if your child has health or disability issues, copies of medical plans and evidence of any disability or learning and support plans.

If your child is already enrolled in another NSW public school, please bring the following documents with your completed enrolment form: .

Please note that schools that are above or near their local enrolment buffer will use the Department's 100-point residential address check to confirm the child’s entitlement to enrol.


  • All children must be in compulsory schooling by their 6th birthday.
  • Children can start Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn 5 on or before 31 July that year.
  • Students should start school at the beginning of the school year.
  • Contact your local school to discuss enrolment procedures.

Changing schools

Contact the chosen new school to discuss enrolment and required paperwork or an out-of-area application.

Children with disability or special learning needs

The department provides a range of enrolment and support options for children with disability or special learning needs. This includes additional support for children in their local school as well as specialist support classes located in some regular schools and in schools for specific purposes (SSPs or special schools).

Discuss additional support in your child’s local school as well as support class and SSP placement with the principal of your local school.

For more information or to discuss assessment of your child’s needs, call the educational services team on 131 536.

Temporary residents

Visit the temporary residents program page for further information and application forms.

More information

Visit our Primary Schools page for more information about help for students with disability or additional learning and support needs and supporting your child become an adaptable and independent learner.

Return to top of page Back to top