How to enrol in a high school

Selecting the right high school and completing an expression of interest application are the key steps to enrolling your child.

Every child is entitled to attend a school in the area where they live. Use the School Finder tool to determine the child’s local school.

The school principal can help you with any questions you may have about enrolling your child.

Year 7 enrolment

If your child in Year 6 is currently attending a NSW Government school, the school will provide you with a Moving into Year 7 in a NSW Government school form with instructions on how to complete the expression of interest section.

Submit the completed form to the primary school by the deadline to enable staff to process your application on time. The primary school can also help with any enquiries about your child’s transition from Year 6 into Year 7.

If your child is not currently enrolled in a NSW Government primary school, please download the Moving into Year 7 in a NSW Government school form. Return this form to the NSW Government secondary school in which you intend to enrol your child.

In completing your expression of interest, remember that many high schools have designated local enrolment areas. They ensure there are places for local students. Schools may accept enrolments from outside their area if places are available.

To help locate your child’s local school, refer to Finding a public school.

The high school will assess your application and contact you if any further action is required.

For selective high schools, it is important to note key dates for the applications and the Test. Visit Selective high schools - Year 7 for more information.

If you are a temporary resident, visit the Temporary residents program for information and contact your local school to obtain and submit an expression of interest for Year 7.

The school will contact you if further information is required.

Years 8 to 12 enrolment

If you are enrolling your child for the first time in a NSW public school, please bring the following documents with you:

  • your child's birth certificate or identity documents.
  • proof of child's address
  • immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register.
  • any family law or other court orders, if applicable.
  • if your child has health or disability issues, copies of medical plans and evidence of any disability or learning and support plans.

If your child is already enrolled in another NSW public school, please bring the following documents with your completed enrolment form:

Please note that schools that are above or near their local enrolment buffer will use the Department's 100-point residential address check to confirm the child’s entitlement to enrol.

General enrolment

For general enrolment in all NSW public schools complete the application to enrol in a NSW Government school form.

You will need to complete the application in English, but there are translated application to enrol forms which may help you complete the process.

Children with disability and additional learning or support needs

NSW public schools provide a range of options for children with disability or additional learning and support needs.

Discuss these with your school principal or Local Educational Services Team on 131 536. Visit Disability, Learning and Support for more information.

Temporary residents

Visit the temporary residents program page for further information and application forms.

More information

Visit our High Schools page for more information about specialist and selective schools and help for students with disability or additional learning and support needs.

Return to top of page Back to top