Petersham Public School
Our school context at October 2018
School name: Petersham Public School
School code: 4502
Number of students: 267
Principal: Hugh Miller
Director Educational Leadership: Virginia Pacey
Principal Network: Marrickville
Our funded school initiatives
- The employment of an additional teacher and School Learning Support Officer (SLSO) to run MultiLit reading instruction programs.
- The employment of an EAL/D teacher 2 days per week providing support for students from diverse language backgrounds, through MiniLit early literacy support program, withdrawal groups and in-class support.
Impact and achievements
- Successful implementation of MultiLit reading instruction programs.
- Students were assessed for inclusion based on their level of need in phonics and phonemic awareness, with preference given to students from language backgrounds other than English and Aboriginal backgrounds.
- Data collected before and after MiniLit programs were implemented show a high level of success in targeted students, with significant increases in students' awareness and application of single sounds, blends and digraphs in reading and writing activities.