Aspiring Principals Leadership Program Selection Process
The Aspiring Principals Leadership Program is for leaders who are already having an impact in schools and seek to expand their influence as a principal in the near future.
The selection process
All applicants are assessed by panels of experienced current and retired principals against three levels of criteria: distinguished, promising and developing. The feedback package below describes the commonalities of attributes of applicants at each of these levels. It is important to note that some applicants demonstrated attributes across more than one level of the marking criteria.
At the heart of our work as educational leaders is a focus on providing every opportunity to enable the best possible learning outcomes for students. Aspiring principals play a critical role in contributing to student and teacher learning, whilst also further developing their leadership capacity in preparation for principalship. We encourage all applicants to discuss their application combined with this feedback package and the discussion questions with their Principals and Directors, Educational Leadership.
The feedback package can be viewed and downloaded here - Feedback Package (PDF 1295.38KB).
The purpose of the digital story is to enable applicants to communicate a personal message beyond their written application that clearly conveys their moral purpose to lead. It is not an assessment of technological prowess. It’s all about the applicant's message.
As a result of round one of the selection process, it was clear that the most effective digital stories included the following elements:
- applicants appeared in person for some of the story
- messages were delivered with conviction and the best ones were inspiring
- clear relationship between core beliefs and motivation to be a leader of a NSW public school
- visuals and sound provided evidence of the core beliefs
- message sequences transitioned smoothly.
Details on uploading a digital story can be found on our How to submit your digital story page. Please follow the instructions carefully.
Submitting your application
- Download and fill out the application form (PDF 897.12KB)
- Read and address the written component criteria for your application on page 2, ensuring it is no more than 3 pages in length, plus your 1 page career summary
- Film and upload your Digital Story and include the link on your application form
- Acquire the support of your school principal/line manager to endorse your written application and digital story
- Submit your application to your Director, Educational Leadership
- If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com
- Applications for the program are now open and close 9 September 2019.