New NESA leadership to guide education reforms
Minister Mitchell today announced Professor Peter Shergold will be the new Chair of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Board.
10 December 2019
Chancellor of Western Sydney University and former head of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Professor Peter Shergold AC, will take the helm of the authority responsible for curriculum, assessment, school regulation and teacher quality across NSW public and non-government schools.
Ms Mitchell said Professor Shergold’s experience is exactly what NESA needs as the organisation prepares to reshape the NSW Curriculum and support education reforms in 2020 and beyond.
“As NSW undertakes a review of the curriculum for the first time in three decades, and moves into the digital space for examinations and learning, the experience Professor Shergold brings from both the private and public sector will be vital,” Ms Mitchell said.
“Professor Shergold is well respected by education stakeholders and brings leadership credentials of the highest calibre to the role.”
“In addition to Professor Shergold’s announcement, we have also secured Paul Martin as NESA’s CEO and appointed six new board members,” Ms Mitchell said.
“I’m excited that the leadership of NESA includes more members with hands-on teaching experience including four school principals and CEO Paul Martin a former English and history teacher.”
Professor Shergold said NESA has a crucial role to play at an exciting time of significant reform in education.
“The delivery of the curriculum review in 2020 will provide NSW with a once in a generation opportunity to revitalise the school curriculum so our students, community and economy continue to thrive well into the 21st century,” Professor Shergold said.
“We know world-class syllabuses, assessment, teaching and school environments are the components needed for our students to achieve their very best.”
Professor Shergold will replace current Chairperson, Tom Alegounarias who is retiring after 30 years in education.
Ms Mitchell said Mr Alegounarias has had an extraordinary impact on education in NSW and will be remembered for many years to come as a passionate educator, policy maker, Chair of NESA and President of NESA’s predecessor, the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards.
“I wish Mr Alegounarias all the best for his retirement and I warmly thank the other outgoing Board members for guiding the establishment of NESA over the past three years,” Ms Mitchell said.
NESA Board members
- Chairperson, Professor Peter Shergold AC, Chancellor of Western Sydney University (new appointment)
- Mr Mark Scott AO, Secretary, NSW Department of Education
- Mr Dallas McInerney, Chief Executive Officer, Catholic Schools NSW
- Dr Geoff Newcombe, Chief Executive Officer, Association of Independent Schools NSW
- Mr Denis Fitzgerald, Executive, NSW Teachers Federation
- Mr Mark Northam, Branch Secretary NSW/ACT, Independent Education Union
- Mr Nathan Towney, Pro Vice-Chancellor, University of Newcastle (new appointment)
- Ms Christine Legg, Chief Executive Officer, KU Children’s Services (new appointment)
- Ms Katherine Grace, General Counsel and Company Secretary, Stockland Group
- Ms Jude Hayman, Principal, Griffith Public School (new appointment)
- Dr Anne Wenham, Head of College, St Stanislaus’ College (new appointment)
- Mr Gary Johnson, Principal, Cherrybrook Technology High School (new appointment)
- Ms Jenny Allum, Head of School, SCEGGS Darlinghurst (new appointment)
- Mr Paul Martin, Chief Executive Officer, NESA (new appointment)
- Media releases