Almost 200 students with disability from south-western Sydney will take to the stage to prove talent has no boundaries when Shining Stars returns on 19 and 20 September.
The performance skills of students with disability will be showcased across three shows at Campbelltown Arts Centre, with 29 NSW public schools represented on stage.
Michelle Davies, Shining Stars organiser and principal of Chalmers Road School, said the show has challenged audience expectations of students with disability since its inception in 2013.
“Whenever these students perform, people are blown away,” Ms Davies said. “There’s nothing tokenistic about this show, it’s straight out and out student ability.”
“Many of our returning students take on the role of dance captain and help some of our students who use wheelchairs move about the stage.
“For our students it’s always harder to find opportunities to see that success, and the fact that they can bring so much talent together after just four workshops for each ensemble is truly magical.
“At the end of the day the arts are something our students can access post-school. If we create a love of music or dance or drama, it’s a lifelong passion.”
The three shows will feature a combination of dance, drama and musical performances, with a visual arts exhibition open for an hour before the performances begin.
The schools taking part in Shining Stars 2019 are:
- Bankstown Public School
- Beverley Park School, Campbelltown
- Bonnyrigg High School
- Broderick Gillawarna School, Revesby
- Busby West Public School
- Campbelltown East Public School
- Cartwright Public School
- Cecil Hills High School
- Chalmers Road School, Strathfield
- Earlwood Public School
- Elderslie High School
- Hampden Park Public School
- James Busby High School
- Les Powell School, Mount Prichard
- Liverpool West Public School
- Mainsbridge School, Liverpool
- Mary Brooksbank School, Rosemeadow
- Merrylands Public School
- Miller Public School
- Niland School, Blackett
- Oran Park Public School
- Passfield Park School, Minto
- Prairiewood High School
- Punchbowl Public School
- Robert Townson High School
- Rosemeadow Public School
- Sydney Secondary College, Leichhardt campus
- Wangee Park School, Campsie
- Yagoona Public School.
Book now for the Shining Stars student showcase at Campbelltown Arts Centre on:
- Thursday 19 September – 7pm
- Friday 20 September – 12.30pm
- Friday 20 September – 7pm.